Tuesday 8 March 2016

Seven Stories High Online Interview



Hey guys. Hope your all doing well today. Sorry if I've been slightly M.I.A recently on this blog but things at uni are getting crazy so I hope you forgive me for that. Anyway, enough of my babble. Here today we have the band Seven Stories High to tell us a little bit about themselves as well as what they've got planned for the rest of the year: 

How did you guys meet one another?
Dave and I (Rhys), have known each other since childhood and then met Matt at comp and started our first band when we're about 12. We were awful, but we didn't know that. We played in bands since then, always changing, until I decided that I had enough of sitting behind a drum kit, and wanted some of the spot light, and by then Dave had gotten very good at drums so we changed it up. We had another bassist for a while but unfortunately it didn't work out, so we found Charlie to play bass for us. It was good but we needed something extra so Charlie moved over to guitar and asked his friend Kallum to play bass for us. That was over a year ago now and since then the band has really worked well together.  

How was the band name created?  

 It was originally a lyric in our song CTRL. The song is about us reforming as a band when and the line referee to the fact, that through out the years there have been 7 different versions of a band that Matt, Dave and myself have been in. We also happened to be writing in my flat which is on the 7th floor of a tower block, so it all fit together. There was nothing else we liked more that represented us as much as that.  

How would you describe the music your band creates? 

It's pop punk. I don't think there is anything else to say. We don't pretend to be anything else. We loved that genre of music when we were growing up and when we all write together that's what comes out. It's up beat and fun, and I think that is what we like the most. There isn't a time in the band when we aren't joking around (as anyone who has seen is live will tell you) and that's what we hope the music represents.  

What are some of the themes and messages that come across in your songs? 

With this EP we wanted to address things that have happened before we got together. Stuff like our childhood, going out with friends, but also some more serious stuff such as anxiety, bullying, the reality of having to grow up. It's all stuff that we have dealt with in our lives, and that everyone has probably dealt with at some point, and have come out our music. 

What are your plans for 2016? 

We are writing all the time, and trying to get some new stuff put together. We will hopefully have a music video out soon which is exciting, but we really just like to play and meet new people at gigs that have listened to us, so that's what we are looking forward to most. 

Where can people find you on social media? 

Uh everywhere I think. We are very active on Twitter @7storieshigh and on face book, we have Instagram too, but most places you can find us if you search the name.  

Finally, if there was only one album you could listen to for the rest of
your life which one would you choose and why? 

Rhys - it changes a lot, but at the moment it would be 'No Closer to Heaven' by The Wonder Years. I just love the emotion that's in the album and I can't help but hurt my throat singing to it if it's on. 

Kallum- I'd say 'Only By The Night' Kings of Leon, as its the album thats really nostalgic to me and helped influence me pick up an instrument

Charlie - Album choice I'd choose, Infinity Land by Biffy Clyro, although it wasn't one of my first albums it is one I could listen to it back to front and still be left jaw dropped.  

Matt - easy one, 'Smart Casual' by Kids in Glass houses. It's all I listened to between like 16 - 21.  

Dave - 'City of Evil' Avenged Sevenfold. Although I don't love them as much as I used to in my youth but it's the album that made me want to transition from Bass to drums as the drum tracks are phenomenal and it's also what made me want to be able to write music as good as them.



Thanks to the boys from Seven Stories High and Garry from SaNPR management. If any other bands would like to be featured on this blog then please email me at rachelcolley@msn.com and I will send you the questions. Thanks again to Seven Stories High and Garry. 

Hope you enjoyed this blog post, 
Rachel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment