Thursday 11 February 2016

Ko_Plune Online Interview


Hey guys! I hope your having a great week! The lovely band of Ko_Plune are here to introduce themselves to you all. If you would like to find out more about them then please read on: 

How did you guys meet one another? 

Carl: I met Jack and Courtney whilst I was studying at Bournemouth University. I met Guy whilst he was on a gap year, he saw that we were looking for after we posted a bunch of early demos online. 

Jack: Carl, I and Courtney met at Bournemouth University, and we added Guy to the entourage after we moved to Southampton.

Guy: I was in a different band when I saw a Ko_Plune post in a music forum I was also in. I sent them a message asking if they’d be interested in playing some shows with my band and they said yes. Then, when my band split up I ended up filling in and eventually joining them.

How was the band name created? 
Carl: We just came up with up from brainstorming ideas, the main idea behind the name is that we wanted a name that did n’t mean anything or predetermine our sound or style to an audience. Those types of band names are the best kind. We just wanted an original name and Ko_Plune just fitted. 

Jack: Back when the band was still brand new with only two members at the time, Carl and I were just throwing ideas around in a rehearsal room. We wanted something that didn’t really mean anything, but was at least memorable, so we became ‘Ko_Plune’.

How would you describe the music your band creates? 
Carl: We currently describe it as Working Class Jazz since our music features a combination of Jazz theory, harmony and melody combined with elements of Punk, Swing, Bossa Nova, Samba/Salsa,Soul,Hip Hop,Math Rock, Prog,Hardcore and Pop. We change from genre to genre with each song so describing us by one thing is quite difficult. I’m sure most people would just call it progressive something or other or find somewhere to fit us in genre wise but I don’t ever write music with a specific genre in mind. I just go on what sounds good and go with that. I think Working Class Jazz suits us perfectly.
Jack: It’s hard to describe as each of our tracks technically fall into different genres, so the best descriptions we’ve been able to consistently assign too are Alternative and Experimental.

Guy: Very varied. Our music incorporates lots of different genres but I’d say they’re all united by a mathy sound.

What are some of the themes and messages that come across in your songs? 

Carl: That question is best left for Courtney to answer in terms of themes and concept since she writes all of the lyrics. The songs in Ko_Plune are more a compositional challenge in terms of what purpose I write for obviously I enjoy the music we play but I’m always striving to write music that will make us become better musicians. The only themes,messages or objectives that I set out for myself with each song is to give the listener a completely different experience with each song and exceed our musical limitations and capabilities with each song. The same goes for our live and recorded material, there’s a lot of things we’ll do differently for each type of musical environment which people will be able to hear on the EP.

Jack: That Red Pandas are not racoons. But seriously, ask Courtney :S.

Courtney: Our EP on the lyrical side goes through some of the changes i made while growing up a bit i guess, letting go of some things that were best left behind. I find a way to let go of things through my songs, its kind of a therapy for me i guess.
What are your plans for 2016? 
Carl: First of all we have the following shows lined up starting with Brighton on the 18th of February we’ll be playing in conjunction with O’Sister Promotions who are promoting gender equality in music by only having bands with at least one female member in which is something I’m glad to be a part of. Then then a week later we’ll be releasing our EP “Auditory Atlas” on the 25th of February and have a headline show at The 1865 in Southampton. Then two Southampton shows 10th March Joiners and 16th of March at The Alex another show on the  Then finally on the 24th of March we’ll be playing in Basingstoke as part of Silkiest.  We’ll also be working on writing and recording some new material, we are are always working on something new to work into the set. We’ll also have some special arrangements coming up so keep your ear to the ground for that one, it’s something else  that we’ve been working and are excited for everyone to hear. 

Jack: Lots of gigs, an EP and another Single release, and hopefully onto recording an Album or a further EP.

Guy:  Festivals for daces also releasing our EP and as much music as possible

Courtney: Im defianately looking forward to all the travelling for gigs we have got going on! so excited to just get the EP out there!

Where can people find you on social media?

All of Ko_Plune: You can find us at the following links:

Bandcamp

Soundcloud


Youtube:

Facebook:

Instagram

Twitter:

Finally, if there was only one album you could listen to for the rest of your life which one would you choose and why? 

Carl: That’s a tricky one since there a quite a few that would become tiresome to listen to over that time period but I’d most likely pick all of Joe Hisaishi's piano arrangements. He’s a pianist that composed most of the Studio Ghibli soundtracks. They feature the most amazing melodies and are really great to listen to when you need to think or work so his entire collection would be something I could listen to for a long time. Transcribing those parts is something I will be working on throughout the year.

Jack: I’ve got some many to choose from it is near impossible to say, but if I had to choose, it would be ‘Lift Your Existence’ by Night Verses. So far it is the only album that I’ve listened to consistently and haven’t needed a break from it.

Guy: I would probably say either A Million Years by Last Dinosaurs or Infinity on High by Fall Out Boy. The two pretty much cover the two sides of my personality in that one album is really chilled out and quiet whilst the other is a lot more upbeat and bombastic.


Courtney: I am the type of person who when they find new music ill listen to the artist or one of their albums over and over again until i know it all! i don’t tend to get bored of an artist once i start listening. One album that i know that i would forever listen to on repeat is Lungs by Florence and the Machine. I love that album and its the one that really made me think about how i want my lyrics to sound a writer. Brings back happy memories. 

If you want to check out their music then go to their band camp page through their Facebook page which is linked here: https://www.facebook.com/Ko.PluneOfficial/app/204974879526524/

Thank you to the band for getting in touch and being interested in the blog. Really appreciate it! If any other bands want to be featured on the blog then please email me at rachelcolley@msn.com and I will send out the questions. Thanks again to the band for answering the questions. 

Hope you enjoyed this blog post, 
Rachel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment